"There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 58

Start: Napa, CA
End: San Francisco, CA
Distance today: 68.6
Total: 3840.3

For some reason I couldn't sleep last night. I ended up taking a moonlight stroll through Skyline wilderness park around midnight. Maybe it was the anticipation if the last day of the trip... Maybe it was something I ate... Either way, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night, so I was wide awake this morning for our last day!

After some annoying construction, we had a pleasant but hot ride through the hills north of San Francisco... Then we got to Sausalito, where we got out first glimpse of SF and and our first gust of the cool ocean breeze from the Pacific!!

We rode the rest of the way over the Golden Gate with big stupid grins on our faces 'cause WE'RE THERE!!!

COAST TO COAST, BABY!!!!

And if that wasn't enough, I finished off the day by riding my fully-loaded bike up Jones St in San Francisco at somewhere around 24% grade!

We're done! (by the way, if you are reading this, you are required to post a comment below)

So... Now what?

Oh that's right... start training for the marathon!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Thanks for the write-ups. They were most entertaining.

    --Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats you two! The journey of a lifetime, complete with a victory photo :-)

    I hope it was everything you thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Great job! Where's your next destination?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Enjoy San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michelle and Chris for providing all the vicarious exercise, I'm exhausted but happy ;-) seriously it's great accomplishment and I salute you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Amazing job. Not only did you get across the whole country in under 2 months, you did an absolutely amazing job of taking all of us along with you. I loved all your commentary and photos.

    Also, I really am serious about aiming at doing a similar ride some day, when I have a summer to set aside for biking.

    Are you doing the NYC marathon this fall then? Where will you be until then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :D It has been awesome to read this! I fell behind occasionally, haha, but always came back to catch up. WELL DONE, GUYS!!! Looking forward to seeing you in the near-ish future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive. Most Impressive.

    Best post was the bear cliff-hanger. I think you should have deliberately not posted the next day just to build the suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exhilarating finish! Must have still had your superman lungs from the high altitude exercise to bomb around those San Fran Hills!

    ReplyDelete