"There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."

Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 38

Start: Estes Park, CO
End: Granby, CO
Distance today: 66
Total: 2445.4

I don't even know what to say! Today was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life!

I just rode my bike over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. You can't tell from the picture, since there was no sign there, but it was taken at an elevation of 12,183 feet! We started the day in Estes Park at 7522 ft. That's a climb of 4661 feet!

Now, riding your bike over the rocky mountains at an elevation of over 12,000 feet would be crazy enough by itself, but add in 50 mph winds on the top of the ridge, and it's just INSANE!

I really can't quite believe that I didn't get blown of the road (I came pretty close a few times)

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, Trail Ridge Road happens to be the highest continuous road in the united states. That means that out of all possible routes we could have taken to get from east to west, we chose the highest!

AMAZING!!!

3 comments:

  1. i cant believe you biked that rode, that's crazy! i drove that road on my road trip by accident, with NO gas in my tank, and was freaking out the whole way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that story, and was thinking about it as I was riding (although I wasn't completely sure which national park it happened in, since you visited a bunch on that trip, if I remember correctly). Anyways, I'm glad you've been there... I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been on that road can fully appreciate how crazy it is to ride a bike over it...

    ReplyDelete