"There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym."

Monday, February 28, 2011

Of bikes and bowties and, apparently, yoga...

This is why I don't make plans ahead of time....

I was originally thinking that I would come up to Rishikesh for a few days to escape the pollution and craziness of the city, and then continue on my sight seeing journey around India.

But then, somehow, I ended up signing up for two weeks of meditation and yoga and an ashram here! It actually made a lot of sense... I much prefer staying in one place for along time instead of bouncing all around for a day or two in each place, even if that means I see less stuff... plus, I figured that I would probably never in my life have such an easy opportunity to spend two weeks studying yoga in the yoga capital of the world. And considering that I don't even have a ticket out of India yet, it's not like I can't simply just continue with my original plan two weeks later, right? (Although at that point, it might be getting close to Monsoon season down south... hmmm...)

We start tomorrow. The daily routine starts with meditation at 5:00 am, followed by two hours of yoga before breakfast. After breakfast is a lecture or something like that, followed by lunch, then free time for a few hours (I anticipate spending most of my free time napping) Then we have afternoon meditation and another yoga session before dinner, with music or something after dinner, and in bed by 9-ish.

I have never done a minute of yoga before in my life (neither has Michele, so at least I won't be the only one). Michele's cousin Trammy is also with us, and she has some yoga experience...

Anyways, I expect to be very sore for much of the next two weeks, but I'm looking forward to an amazing experience!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your comments on the yoga experience. Not going harikrishna on me are you? Did that sound predudical? Sorry. And I know that has nothing to do with yoga. I'm just jealous that maybe you have a spiritual side.... Maude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monsoon season in South India would start only around end-April to mid-May, so you can relax... Till then enjoy the peaceful surroundings you are in..

    ReplyDelete